Stainless steel is resistant to corrosion and oxidation in low and high temperature because it contains chromium. This is what makes stainless steel different from mild steel or any other steel. Although tubes are not the cheapest option on the market, they have many benefits. Apart from being resistant to corrosion, which enables them to be useful in thin wall piping, they have low fluid friction properties and are easy to maintain, making them cost effective. They have been used in the construction of safe and long-lasting structures, like factories special enclosures
Different types of stainless steel tubes are made to withstand different environments, with varying temperatures. Here are several types of such tubes:
• Austenitic – ductile, non magnetic and good for welding. It is used to make kitchen wares, large scale piping and containers.
• Ferritic – same as austenitic, but a better resistant to corrosion. It is used in indoor equipment, like washing machines.
• Austenitic-Ferritic (Duplex) – both strong and ductile. It is mainly used in industries like paper pulp industries and shipbuilding industries.
• Martensitic – contains 11-13% chromium, making it moderately resistant to corrosion. It is also strong and has magnetic properties. It is used in making turbines.
• Heat resistant tubes – used for steaming where temperature is very high. They are resistant to heat. They are used in boilers.
• Heat exchanger tubes – high pressure resistant. They are also resistant to aggressive mediums like acids. They are used in many industries like chemical, fertilizers, petrochemical and so on.
• Duplex stainless steel tubes – have high strength and resistant to corrosion. They also have high thermal conductivity and low thermal expansion properties. They are used in chemical processes.
• High pressure tubes – mainly used in fluctuating temperature conditions. They are used in both condensers and boilers.
• U-Bend tubes – used in heat exchanger systems like hot oil systems.
Stainless steel, which is integrated in tubes and pipes, has now become an integral part of the manufacturing industry. Stainless steel is used in manufacturing industries for its high corrosion resistance, and it is available in various sizes and diameters.
Today, steel pipes are also used in art decoration. These pipes come in many types, like round, rectangular, square and oval, depending on the use.
Apart from making a steel tube, stainless steel can also be used to make a stainless steel sheet or a stainless steel box section. Steel sheets and steel box sections are used in many industries; for example, a steel box section is used in the manufacture of trailers.
When steel mainly consists of carbon, it is known as mild steel. It is used to make a mild steel tube or a mild steel sheet. Mild steel does not contain chromium. Consequently, a mild steel sheet or a mild steel tube corrodes easily, making them less effective than a stainless steel sheet and tube. However, a mild steel tube or a mild steel sheet is preferred since it is a cheaper option.